Kiwi – Rarest New Zealand Bird
The Kiwi is New Zealand’s Cutest, Strangest and Most Endangered Bird with only 400 said to be still alive and kicking, but definitely not flying. Their rugby namesakes spend more time in the air!
Kiwi – Rarest New Zealand Bird of them all is in need of some serious ecological support with numbers critically low. You can help do your bit for this beloved little creature by reading up on their plight on KiwisForKiwi website. There’s lots of information to point you in the right direction.
The World’s Cutest Animal… A Baby Kiwi?
New Zealand’s Iconic Flightless Bird Comes Alive in this GIF Gallery
Collaboration is Key to Saving the Kiwis
Kiwis for Kiwi in partnership with the Department for Conservation have a realistic target of growing each sub-species of Kiwi by 2% each year. This is through an intelligent and wide-ranging approach, including such things as:
- Predator-proof fencing.
- Trapping natural predators.
- Fund raising events for conservation projects.
- Laboratory tests to reduce disease and increasing overall health and wellbeing.
- Studying the natural environment for ways to minimize impact on breeding.
- Increased breeding through all of the above.
- The primary goal is of course the fund raising that makes everything happen.
- Kiwi – Rarest New Zealand Bird – is hopefully a term that will no longer be needed in a more ecologically-friendly future.
10 Images of the Kiwi in all its Feathery-yet-Flightless Glory