The Winner’s Guide to the Darknet
It’s not easy mooching around the Darknet when you don’t even know what it is or where to start. Fear not because we’ve got your back with this beginner-friendly read for anyone interested in the dark side of Internet life.
What is the Darknet or Dark Web?
In layman’s terms, the Darknet is an umbrella term for the parts of the Internet that are hidden from normal use. This is usually done on purpose to keep law enforcement and other unwanted guests out of the way. The infrastructure, however, runs on the regular Internet architecture, but the websites aren’t listed on Google and usually have .onion domains.
What’s an onion domain? It’s a website that is usually accessed on the Darkweb using Tor browser. The name simply refers to the layers it has, similar to the layers on an onion.
The Internet consists of three main components, the World Wide Web, which is the regular Internet indexed by search engines like Google. Then there’s the Deep web, which is normal websites that need a password or membership to enter them, such as forums. Lastly there is the Dark web, which we’ve already covered.
What do People do on the Darknet?
There are obviously plenty of reasons why people use the Darknet. Some are for genuine reasons, like journalists living under a monstrous regime where they will be punished for their work. In reality, however, most of the Darknet is for more sinister purposes. This goes all the way from teenagers buying weed in their bedrooms right up to sickos like paedophiles being the horrible bastards that they are.
Most Users Like to Browse Darknet Markets Like Dream Market
There have been numerous Darknet markets over the years, but they tend to get closed down by the Feds every now and then. Some reopen either under a new name or even the same design and name. The most famous one being the Silk Road run by an American named Ross William Ulbricht who is now sitting in a penitentiary somewhere.
It’s an interesting story if you want to watch the documentary on YouTube, and also a cautionary tale for anyone wishing to follow in his tracks. On one hand you have to admire his talent, but on another it’s amazing how the silliest of things tripped him up. Like using his own email address when searching for a web designer.
The funny thing was he also put a video on YouTube, under his own name, and it garnered one view… with the view been from the DEA officer who was tracking him! Damn! Not sure if he still goes by his handle Dread Pirate Roberts now he’s in the Supermax?
Be Careful of Darknet Marektplace Scams!
Like anything related to the Internet in general there are scammers out there, but even more so on the Darknet Marketplace. You can get some more information from the Deep Dot Web. That’s how I originally got on Dream Market, but alternatively follow my own guide below.
How to Access Dream Market?
The most popular marketplace that is currently still working is called Dream Market. I have only used it once myself just as an experiment, and it worked out fine. You have to use your common sense, though. Do as much research as possible before actually buying anything.
Follow these tips and you should be okay, but please don’t blame me if it all backfires. You’re a grown man or woman, I presume.
- It’s paramount that you use Tor Browser for your security and also that of Dream Market.
- Read all the feedback and make sure there is plenty of history from the last six months at least. People do fake their own feedback so make sure it is genuine.
- There is a complaints procedure if necessary, but make sure you use this as a last resort and you aren’t at fault. You will be bared if you abuse the facility.
- It’s beneficial to use a VPN – virtual private network – but if you are unsure, don’t bother. Just use Tor. You can make matters worse by running extra software that you aren’t familiar with.
- Don’t be stupid and order thousands of pounds/dollars worth of merchandise because you will attract the attention of the feds and end up with Dread Pirate Roberts in the big house.
- Do be sensible and buy yourself the occasional little treat now and then. That way you should be fine, though there are no guarantees.
- Please use my affiliate link if you don’t mind. I will make a small commission from each purchase you make.
- I’ve included two short videos that I made earlier so comment on the YouTube videos with any questions please.
Watch Dream Market Tutorial on YouTube – Affiliate Links Included!
Stay Safe on the Darknet With a Virtual Private Network
Five More Gossip Lollies
- Walter Rohrl – German Rallying Legend
- Scary Prison Stories on YouTube
- Salomondrin’s McLaren Senna Fire
- Valentine’s Day History Lesson
- Facebook’s Testing LOL App to Woo Children Back